What are some examples of their usage? Is なん the short form of 何【なに】 in both words?

Also, not sure if this is correct, but the だ in the middle of なんだか should be the copula. Why is the copula being used like this in the middle of a word?

なにか can mean something as well as somehow while なんだか is always the adverb somehow. なんか is a less formal, more colloquial version of なにか with its に changed to ん (cf. 撥音便)

Although だ should be etymologically the copula, but as you can see in the link, it would be simpler to consider them as independent words on their own.

Some examples:

• なんだか悲しい気分だ = なんか悲しい気分だ I feel sad for some reason
  • なんか食べたい I want something to eat

なんだか is three words なん + だ + か but it's become a set phrase and is used as a word itself pretty much to express an idea like somehow, somewhat, or rather.

今日はなんだかさむい

It's rather cold today.

なんか is different with a couple of different uses. It's usually an informal version of なにか or など.

なんか冷たいものが飲みたい。

I want something cold to drink.

Or

絵や音楽なんかに興味がない

I have no interest in things like painting and music.

なんか and なんだか are interchangeable when they mean somehow, e.g., 今日はなんか寒い and 今日はなんだか寒い are very close.
    – naruto
    Oct 14 at 21:47
    @naruto Thank you. I was also wondering about formality when it comes to なんだか. It doesn't seem to me there is a fixed expression to use for なんだか in a more formal setting. It seems to me that in a formal setting different expressions need to be used on a case by case basis. Am I right?
    – A.Ellett
    Oct 14 at 21:50
    なんか is very informal and should be avoided in almost any formal setting, whereas なんだか is fine in day-to-day business settings. In very formal settings, we can use どうも, いくぶん, いささか, どういうわけか, etc.
    – naruto
    Oct 14 at 21:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.