I have read some topics about usage of では on the internet, like で for places, means, tools and は to mark the subject, argument,... However, I can't apply those to explain meaning of では in this sentence

今回の値上げは、原発事故の影響で、火力発展の燃料費が増加したことによるものだと東京電力では説明しています

As I understand, 東京電力 is Tokyo electric company and they are the one (the subject) explaining the reason why electric price is going up. Why do the writer add not only は but also で here?

1 Answer 1

は does not mark the subject; it marks the topic. The topic can serve any other function in the sentence. Often the topic is the subject. But, it can also be the object (direct/indirect) of the verb. は also can be used to mark contrast.

Notice, the topic is actually 値上げ, the increase in price.

With 東京電力では, the use of は adds a sense of contrast. Various other electric companies might explain the increase in prices in other ways but here at Tokyo Electric the explanation is that which was quoted.

• I understand what you said. But the main question I want to ask here is the role of で. I mean, で in this sentence is not pointing a place that something happens. or a means of transport, right? It confuses me at this point
    – Mihara
    Commented Oct 13, 2021 at 18:06
    @Mihara I'm not sure how native speakers would construe it. But as I read it, an explanation was given at a certain place and that place happens to be Tokyo Electric. This is not an uncommon sentence structure in Japanese where で is used to mark the source of the information (here explanation).
    – A.Ellett
    Commented Oct 13, 2021 at 18:19
  • I understand. Thank you!!
    – Mihara
    Commented Oct 14, 2021 at 3:25

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .