I was attempting to translate "Why am I not a fish with legs?" into Japanese, and the Japanese speakers I asked said they couldn't find a way to get it to sound natural. (Of course, this question is very frivolous, so said speakers are close friends and not professional translators or the like.)

The informal version I was given is 「何で足がある魚じゃないの」, and the formal version 「どうして足がある魚じゃないんですか」, yet I was told that neither of these really sound natural.

Is it true that a thought like this is hard to express in Japanese? If so, why is that?

"Why am I not a fish with legs?" in what context? You know, Japanese cares very much about the topic, so you have to form different questions according to what you focus on: "I wish I were one" or "what tells humans from fish?" or "why I'm different from others?" and so on... Sep 30 '21 at 21:12

I personally don't think that's hard to express. While it may sound strange (Where can we find a fish with legs?), I think appropriate translation would be:

• なぜ(なんで/どうして)私は足がある魚じゃないんですか?

Your translation is completely missing am I. That's the only error I could find of.

Maybe your friend's idea of "natural" and your idea of "natural" have a different meanings; In the sense of "this can only be a weird sentence no matter how I translate it,"(As I said above, there's no fish with legs in real life... or is there?) and in the sense of "this can't be sound natural no matter how I translate it."

• Ah, ok. My first personal attempt was actually 「どうして私は足がある魚じゃないですか」 (without the ん) and somewhere along the way of asking my friends I lost the 私は. Thank you for the explanation!
    – Aly
    Sep 30 '21 at 20:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.