Is it possible to use 勝負 with あげる、もらう、くれる? ex. "I'll give you this match." (Give the win)

Also, can 勝負 be used in place of a physical videogame?

• Out of curiosity: What's physical videogame? Physical copy of a videogame, or...?
    – Skye-AT
    Sep 24 at 8:36
  • yeah, because I saw a local use この勝負はあげる. I only know that you can add あげる when it's 勝負してあげる, so I'm confused if he meant it as a physical copy of a videogame.
    – Slurple
    Sep 24 at 10:41
  • 勝負 doesn't really have anything to do with video games though? Except that you can have a match against someone within a game, but you can do basically anything in a video game, so that doesn't narrow it down much.
    – Leebo
    Sep 24 at 12:16
  • ^ not all "game" has to be videogame, right?
    – Skye-AT
    Sep 24 at 15:08

In Japan, when you use the word "勝負" with "もらう" it means この勝負は僕が貰ったね。"I've got this game, haven't I?

Or...この勝負は君にあげるよ。"I'll give you this game."

These phrases are common.

Sure. この勝負、私にくれる? "Can I have this game?

It is also common to say.

However, except when you say things like these, you don't say あげる, もらう, くれる the game.

Also, be aware that these expressions are used in casual settings rather than formal ones. If you are using them for a friend, there is no problem.

Therefore, these expressions cannot be used when the outcome of a game is decided from the standpoint of a third party. This is only for one-on-one conversations.

When "勝負" is used as a noun, it refers only to a match,a game or a confrontation.

My English is not very good, so I don't know if I'm answering your question correctly, but I think these are the only ways to use the word "勝負". It's a difficult expression, but it would be cool to use!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.