Today when discussing language learning, I was corrected by a heritage Japanese speaker friend who changed what I said

多分書くのの方が難しいと思う

to

多分書くの方が難しいと思う

However, the discussion emerging from this post seems to suggest 書くのの方 is correct while 書くの方 is not. So I seem to have been in the right. But what about verb+のの+方?

This site, maintained by college level Japanese language teacher Kano Yoko, claims:

Q:日本語を話すのと書くのと、どちらの方が好きですか。Which one do you like, speaking or Writing Japanese?
A:どちらも好きですが、書くことの(or 書くのの)方がかんたんです。 I like both but writing is easier.

(Note:のの in the 書くのの is often omitted especially in conversation. Consider that it becomes a relative clause.)

In contrast, this answer suggests 書くののほうが上手だ sounds odd. So do the legality and idiomaticness of this construction depend on the verb? Do other verbs work better?

Side note: I did find some attestations of this: 書くのの方が問題。

書く方が難しい or 書くことの方が難しい is the way to go.

書くの方が難しい is 100% ungrammatical. As I said in the linked question, 書くのの方が難しい is not 100% incorrect but it sounds fairly awkward at least to my ears. I suppose that heritage Japanese speaker felt the same way I did, but made a simple mistake while correcting it.

It was a heritage speaker who grew up with one native speaking parent in an environment where nobody else around them spoke Japanese... namely ハーフ. I did double-check with them to make sure it wasn't a mistake on their part.
    – Eddie Kal
    Sep 24 at 5:35
    Hmm... 書くの方が難しい is somehow a very common mistake among Chinese natives speaking Japanese (it must be related to the Chinese grammar). Do you think it's related? And I didn't know the term heritage speaker, thanks for the info.
    – naruto
    Sep 24 at 5:42
    Well, it doesn't seem to be the case here. But since their dominant language isn't Japanese, there might be some issues in their use of the language.
    – Eddie Kal
    Sep 24 at 5:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.