I took 3 years of Japanese starting in 1996. A lot has obviously worn off in the last 20 years, but one word that really stuck out was "Mikasa". I swear I saw that it was the word for tangerine or mandarin orange, and it was repeatedly drilled in because my parents have Mikasa brand dinnerware/flatware. I was going to relay that info to a friend who is into anime (because he mentioned Mikasa Ackermann from Attack on Titan), but when I double checked to make sure I didn't look like an idiot, I came up with nothing.

I see that みかん is the word for mandarin orange. Is みかさ some sort of alternative word or brand of fruit or something, and I don't have the right Google-fu to find it?

Mi Casa, Tu Casa? My umbrella is your umbrella??
    – A.Ellett
    Commented Sep 22, 2021 at 14:54
    Where I grew up, we used to call dorayaki by that name. I didn’t know that famous sweet in Doraemon was the same thing as mikasa till much later.
    – aguijonazo
    Commented Sep 22, 2021 at 15:48
  • Any chance you mistook an orange volleyball for fruit?
    – aguijonazo
    Commented Sep 22, 2021 at 16:46

1 Answer 1

For me personally, I have never seen or heard the word "Mikasa" used to refer to oranges. I was born and spent a lot of time in Japan, but I have never heard of the word "Mikasa" except for:

I did a bit of googling to make sure my knowledge was correct, but it seems that the word Mikasa is never used for oranges. I think you may have misremembered something.

• Mandela Effect?
    – istrasci
    Commented Sep 22, 2021 at 16:55
  • @istrasci The Mandela Effect refers to a situation in which a large mass of people believes that an event occurred when it did not... large mass of people?
    – Skye-AT
    Commented Sep 22, 2021 at 17:14

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .