I took 3 years of Japanese starting in 1996. A lot has obviously worn off in the last 20 years, but one word that really stuck out was "Mikasa". I swear I saw that it was the word for tangerine or mandarin orange, and it was repeatedly drilled in because my parents have Mikasa brand dinnerware/flatware. I was going to relay that info to a friend who is into anime (because he mentioned Mikasa Ackermann from Attack on Titan), but when I double checked to make sure I didn't look like an idiot, I came up with nothing.

I see that みかん is the word for mandarin orange. Is みかさ some sort of alternative word or brand of fruit or something, and I don't have the right Google-fu to find it?

Mi Casa, Tu Casa? My umbrella is your umbrella??
    – A.Ellett
    Sep 22 at 14:54
    Where I grew up, we used to call dorayaki by that name. I didn’t know that famous sweet in Doraemon was the same thing as mikasa till much later.
    – aguijonazo
    Sep 22 at 15:48
  • Any chance you mistook an orange volleyball for fruit?
    – aguijonazo
    Sep 22 at 16:46

For me personally, I have never seen or heard the word "Mikasa" used to refer to oranges. I was born and spent a lot of time in Japan, but I have never heard of the word "Mikasa" except for:

I did a bit of googling to make sure my knowledge was correct, but it seems that the word Mikasa is never used for oranges. I think you may have misremembered something.

• Mandela Effect?
    – istrasci
    Sep 22 at 16:55
  • @istrasci The Mandela Effect refers to a situation in which a large mass of people believes that an event occurred when it did not... large mass of people?
    – Skye-AT
    Sep 22 at 17:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.