This question probably sounds stupid, but I may as well ask. Let’s say I have a dog named Donnaha (pronounced as “dough-nah-hah”), I write it as どんなは.

If I say something like どんなはは犬です, is this grammatically correct? Can I use は after は?

It’s a very specific case, I know, but I figured it might be nice to know. If some words end with HA or WA, I’d like to know how to handle them.

はははははははははははと笑った。
    – istrasci
    Sep 21 at 19:28
    How about いろはは昔の順ですよね。Or ははははの秋の色がだいすきです。
    – A.Ellett
    Sep 21 at 21:45
  • I wonder what made you think は might be different from other particles such as が and に.
    – aguijonazo
    Sep 22 at 6:47

There is not much you can do or need to do.

どんなはは犬です is grammatical, but it would give a difficulty in parsing especially because どんな is an existing word. For the particular case, it is better to write ドンナハは犬です. (BTW Donnaha is really a possible dog name?)

Similarly use of Kanji and punctuations would make sentences more readable. The sentence given in the comment is an instance of classic quiz. Slightly different versions:

• はははははじょうぶだ。
  • ははのははははははははははははははとわらう。

See here for the answers (click the link). Also note that, being written only in hiragana aside, they are a bit artificial.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.