Source

にする is defined as "to decide on" but does it always represent a voluntary action taken by the speaker or are there cases when it is not neccesarily up to their decision?

For example,

私は明日と来週の火曜日を休みにする。

The English translation from the source is "I'm taking work off tomorrow and next Tuesday." but can it also mean "I have work off tomorrow and next Tuesday." possibly implying the "work off" or break time period was not decided by the speaker (perhaps a manager or whatnot).

Bonus question: How would I say "I'm taking work off tomorrow until next Tuesday."? My guess is 私は明日から来週の火曜日までを休みにする。Does that sound right?

I don't think we'd normally say 私は明日と来週の火曜日を休みにする。 to mean I'm taking work off tomorrow and next Tuesday. やっぱり, I don't think you should trust JLPT sensei. japanese.meta.stackexchange.com/a/2196/9831
    – Chocolate
    Sep 19 at 3:31
  • @Chocolate It seems grammatical at least. I know it's not the actual question, but could you comment on which part is unnatural and what a natural alternative would be please? Sep 19 at 7:14
    @user3856370 I think we'd normally say 明日と来週の火曜(に/は)休みを取る (or 休みをもらう, or just 休む). 明日と来週の火曜は休みにする sounds to me like a shop owner saying they will not open their shop on those days. 〇曜と〇曜を休みにする sounds like someone who can decide their 定休日 by themselves deciding on which days they'll take days off every week.
    – Chocolate
    Sep 19 at 8:14

私は明日と来週の火曜日を休みにする

will always mean "I decided to take tomorrow next Tuesday off."

If you wanted to imply that someone else made that decision, then you would say

私は明日と来週の火曜日が休みになった

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.