On a youtube channel I found such an example: "暑くてお酒を飲みたい" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkFPCNt9ZKo&t=864s

Isn't this wrong?

I mean て form as reason can be used for feelings or for what you can't do, as explained here.

But you shouldn't use it for what you want to do (-tai form)

Am I wrong?

This lesson is very confusing in my opinion, て form is a very flexible form and one of the most common use is simply to link sentences. But it never says you can't use it with たい, what is your confusion?
    – Simon
    Sep 16 at 10:21
  • @Simon, て-form is very flexible, but it still has restrictions. Mostly related to volition. It's not very important when we have 2 actions done by the subject, because we do actions with some aim/reason. But once we change that, we have to provide a cause/reason. Some of sentences become less natural, for example, "I woke up and brushed my teeth". Do a test "why you brushed your teeth? Because I woke up". Kinda weird, right? But I'm not sure about ーたい, because it can express both emotions (uncontrollable) and volition (plan to do it). It sounds ok, but I would like a native's confirmation. Sep 16 at 11:32

I agree that 暑くてお酒を飲みたい sounds a bit unnatural, but the following is fairly usual:

• 暑くてお酒を飲みたいと思ったけど、冷蔵庫を見たら何もなかった
  • It was hot and I wanted to drink alcohol, but there was nothing when I checked the fridge.

Some examples with ...て...たい without being followed by additional phrases:

• 暑すぎて裸になりたい It is too hot and I want to go totally naked.
  • 恥ずかしくて穴があったら入りたい I'm so ashamed, and want to hide in a pit if there is any.
  • 失恋して死にたい I got my heart broken and want to die.

After thinking and a bit googling about ...て...たい, it is true that such sentences tend to become unnatural, but it can be ok especially when the intended meaning is it is too ... that I want to ....

• The first example is not technically an example of …て…たい, because it's 暑くて + (お酒を飲みたいと)思った. Sep 19 at 5:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.