I saw someone getting corrected for using が in a ことがある sentence, and I was wondering why using が in sentences specifically like 私がplaceに行ったことがある is wrong, I can't seem to wrap my head around it.

I was thinking of some things like 私があそこに行ったこと which seem to be correct (in my mind). But I'm confused as to why it was considered wrong?

Edit: Changing が with の seems to reveal how it's wrong, I think because the は that is used in the relative clause is the topic and not the subject that does the verb, is this understanding correct in any way?

on my cell phone. but there are numerous postings here about は vs が. in this context わたしが sounds like you’re saying “i’m the one who went there” as if no one else has that experience.
    – A.Ellett
    Sep 15 at 21:37
    Now that I reread your question, we need more context. 私がplaceに行ったことがある is grammatical, but how was it used?
    – Nameless
    Sep 15 at 22:57
    Whether it’s 私は or 私が, it’s outside of the relative clause.
    – aguijonazo
    Sep 16 at 1:15

私は日本に行ったことがある。
I have been to Japan.

In this sentence, 私 is the topic of the entire sentence, and it's not in any relative clause. (Very literally: "As for me, a having-gone-to-Japan [fact] exists.") Structurally, this is yet another "double-subject" sentence (Aは + Bが + predicate) such as 彼は背が高い, 今日は仕事がある or このレストランは料理が美味しい. Naturally, 私 must be marked with は.

If が is used instead of は, it would work as an exhaustive-listing が ("It's me who has been to Japan"). This is still grammatical but makes sense only in a special context.

When you wrap this entire sentence in a subordinate clause...

[私日本に行ったことがあること]を知らない。
He does not know [that I have been to Japan].

Now, you must say 私が because 私 is in a subordinate noun clause (marked with the square brackets) and the topic of the main (outermost) clause is 彼.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.