Was wondering if it is natural to use 「チャンス」in Japanese sentences.

For example, 「本を読むチャンスになって」

It feels somewhat natural, as I likely heard it in a manga, but wanted to see if it was okay to use it in normal speaking/text messaging.

What exactly are you trying to express with this?
    – Angelos
    Sep 9 at 23:09
  • チャンス is a common word, but its meaning is not the same as chance in English. Your example sentence ("Turn into an book-reading opportunity"?) makes no sense.
    – naruto
    Sep 10 at 5:08
  • @naruto So would きっかけ be more appropriate in this sort of usage/nuance?
    – A.Ellett
    Sep 10 at 20:51
  • @naruto To clarify what my comment meant: would 本を読むきっかけになって make better sense. To say in English, "it became an opportunity to read a/my book" does make sense.
    – A.Ellett
    Sep 10 at 23:41
  • @A.Ellett 本を読むきっかけになって is a valid sentence, but I'm not sure if that was what OP wanted to say.
    – naruto
    Sep 11 at 6:02

Yes, it is.

Meaning

While it's a phonetically transcribed word from "chance", its meaning also covers "opportunity".

チャンス implies a chance of doing what you wanted to do sometime. It MAY be somewhat sudden and/or unexpected.

[機会]{きかい} is a synonym of チャンス. The difference is a bit similar to "opportunity" and "chance".

Example 1, written sentence

[明日]{あす}の[予定]{よてい}がキャンセルになった。[家]{いえ}で[積]{つ}んでいた[本]{ほん}を[読]{よ}むチャンスだ。

(Tomorrow's plan has been canceled. It's a chance to read my unread books.)

Example 2, spoken sentence

[前]{まえ}の[走者]{そうしゃ}が[疲]{つか}れてきた[今]{いま}がチャンスだ![追]{お}い[抜]{ぬ}くぞ!

(The runner in front of me is getting tired, now it's my chance! Gonna overtake him!)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.