In this news I heard this sentence:

福岡県飯塚市のディスカウントストアで食料品を万引きし、店の警備員にけがをさせたとして隣接する嘉麻市の職員の男が逮捕されました。

I can understand the meaning form the context, but the part させたとして isn't that clear to me: I know させる is causative, which means that the recipient is forced or allowed to do an action; and I know として either as "as, in the capacity of", or as て-form of とする, "to try/decide to do" (and several other meaning.

In that sentence... I'm not so sure about its meaning. The sentence means that the suspect injured the guard, but why the causative? Because she is forced to take on an injury? And why として?

Possibly a difficulty might be that there is no real equivalent of けがをする in English.

警備員けがをする means A guard got injured. But note that in Japanese, it is an ordinary active sentence. On the other hand 警備員けがをさせる means (Someone) injured a guard. So to think in the opposite direction, injure (or hurt) only translates as a causative けがをさせる in Japanese (at least when it involves physical injury).

として here only means as.

Overall, the sentence would translate: A man was arrested as having shoplifted in a discount store... and injured a guard of the shop.

• How would you translate "A guard injured someone"?
    – Mauro
    Sep 3 at 13:55
    It is 警備員 (誰かに)けがをさせる.
    – sundowner
    Sep 3 at 13:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.