I came across this on Twitter, it seems to be mostly a question but sometimes an exclamation. Is it とは, or maybe とか? How do you use it? My dictionary has a とな as word that come at the end of a sentence to get confirmation. Is this the same?

画像も貼らずにスレたてとな?
今日は次第に雨とな。
千葉東方沖震度4とな?
むっちゃんがイケメン店員とな( ̄□ ̄)!?

The avatars of people using it are overwhelmingly cute. Is this a cute word.

2 Answers 2

As YOU wrote, とな in these examples is a combination of the particle と signifying quotation and the particle な signifies that the speaker wants reply or agreement or wants to make sure. I think that とな in this meaning is rare in the modern Japanese except as an Internet slang or possibly in some dialects.

“画像も貼らずにスレ立てとな!?” is a set phrase used in some Internet forums including 2channel. It means something similar to “You started a new thread (in the forum) without even including a single image in it? Seriously?” I guess that many of the uses of “とな!?” (or “とな?”) are inspired by this set phrase.

とな is basically formed by combination of と and な.

You may use ~とな at the end of the sentenses like that, basically use when you heard it from somewhere else and also express your agreement when you repeat that. It has similar meaning with ~というのだね.

You may also use ~とな at the end of the phrase (even in the middle of sentence), and it express light emphasis for your agreement.

ref:

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .