A mangaka that I like replied me in my native language, and when I showed this to my parents they liked it. I want to say that to this mangaka, but I don't know how to say that in a natural form.

I thinked in these phrases

昨日の返信を両親に見せて、気に入りました。
昨日の返信を両親に見せて、好きになりました。
昨日の返信を両親に見せて、いいだと思いました。

But I think that it means something like "I liked to show yesterday reply to my parents". How can I say "I showed yesterday reply to my parents and they liked it" in a natural and correctly form?

1 Answer 1

Your translation attempts will never mean "to like to show" or "to want to show". Something like this is expressed using a completely different construction in Japanese. Do you know about the -tai form?

However, your attempts have several other mistakes.

• Adjectives like いい don't take だ, so いいだと思う is ungrammatical.
  • 好きになる means something becomes one's (permanent) favorite rather than liking something for a moment. If you used 好きになる, it would sound like your parents became (permanent) fans of the mangaka.
  • You cannot directly use 気に入る, 思う and so on with a third-person subject. See this and this. You need to add ようでした or みたいでした.
  • It's better to use 見せたら instead of 見せて because the subjects of the two clauses (見せる and 気に入る/好きになる/いいと思う) are different.

Therefore, my suggestion is one of the following:

• 昨日の返信を両親に見せたら、気に入ったようでした。
  • 昨日の返信を両親に見せたら、いいと思っているようでした。
  • Thank you, I learned a lot :)
    – Yasushiki
    Aug 29, 2021 at 2:58
  • Would it be right 気に入ったと言いました?
    – Mauro
    Aug 29, 2021 at 8:01
    @Mauro It sounds unnatural. You should say 気に入ったと言っていました or 気に入ったと言っています. Here's a related question.
    – naruto
    Aug 29, 2021 at 8:14

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .