A mangaka that I like replied me in my native language, and when I showed this to my parents they liked it. I want to say that to this mangaka, but I don't know how to say that in a natural form.

I thinked in these phrases

昨日の返信を両親に見せて、気に入りました。
昨日の返信を両親に見せて、好きになりました。
昨日の返信を両親に見せて、いいだと思いました。

But I think that it means something like "I liked to show yesterday reply to my parents". How can I say "I showed yesterday reply to my parents and they liked it" in a natural and correctly form?

Your translation attempts will never mean "to like to show" or "to want to show". Something like this is expressed using a completely different construction in Japanese. Do you know about the -tai form?

However, your attempts have several other mistakes.

• Adjectives like いい don't take だ, so いいだと思う is ungrammatical.
  • 好きになる means something becomes one's (permanent) favorite rather than liking something for a moment. If you used 好きになる, it would sound like your parents became (permanent) fans of the mangaka.
  • You cannot directly use 気に入る, 思う and so on with a third-person subject. See this and this. You need to add ようでした or みたいでした.
  • It's better to use 見せたら instead of 見せて because the subjects of the two clauses (見せる and 気に入る/好きになる/いいと思う) are different.

Therefore, my suggestion is one of the following:

• 昨日の返信を両親に見せたら、気に入ったようでした。
  • 昨日の返信を両親に見せたら、いいと思っているようでした。
  • Thank you, I learned a lot :)
    – Yasushiki
    Aug 29 at 2:58
  • Would it be right 気に入ったと言いました?
    – Mauro
    Aug 29 at 8:01
    @Mauro It sounds unnatural. You should say 気に入ったと言っていました or 気に入ったと言っています. Here's a related question.
    – naruto
    Aug 29 at 8:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.