1. Do Japanese say "Good day" as the conventional way of their greetings (?):

良い一日。(?)

1. Furthermore, it seems that:

Google pronounced this as

Yoi ichi-nichi.

But the Google translator shows:

Yoi tsuitachi.

Are you familiar with the difference between いちにちand ついたち in general?
    – Leebo
    Aug 25, 2021 at 22:46
    Is there something wrong with こんにちは?
    – A.Ellett
    Aug 25, 2021 at 22:48
  • @A.Ellett you wouldn't use them at the same times as each other... Pretty sure the OP is just unsure of the reading. Though looking again, the lack of を at the end makes it unclear if they understand how it's used.
    – Leebo
    Aug 25, 2021 at 22:52
  • @Leebo It seemed to me the OP was asking about the standard greeting, but then confused between how they thought it should be pronounced and Google translator's perception of the matter.
    – A.Ellett
    Aug 25, 2021 at 22:56
    @A.Ellett In my head, I skipped over "greeting" as just 挨拶, which is not limited to meeting words or parting words. There indeed appear to be layers of confusion.
    – Leebo
    Aug 25, 2021 at 23:07

1 Answer 1

The tsuitachi reading is restricted in meaning, and can only be used to express "the first day of the month". It's spelled 一日 ("one; first" + "day") in kanji, but it originally comes from [月]{つき}[立ち]{たち} (tsuki tachi, "month" + "starting off").

Both readings are possible in the limited context of your sample string:

• 良い一日 → yoi ichinichi
  • 良い一日 → yoi tsuitachi

Which reading you should use depends on your intended context. Are you talking about "a good day", or are you talking about "a good first day of the month"?

If instead you're trying to translate the greeting "good day", then neither is correct, and you should use the term こんにちは (konnichi wa) instead. See also the "Translation" section in the Wiktionary entry for "good day".

There is also a special kanji [朔]{ついたち}, but I don't know how much it's used in real life.
    – istrasci
    Aug 26, 2021 at 0:12
    @istrasci, the KDJ entry at Kotobank lists three kanji spellings: 朔日・朔・一日. Of these, I'm only accustomed to seeing the last one. A quick check in Google Books (adding "は" to filter for Japanese) finds 216K for the first, 211K for the second, and 9.1M for the last -- but that last one is hard to tell how many are for the ついたち reading. Aug 26, 2021 at 0:18
  • Looking for the kanji spellings plus "ついたち", I see 18.1K for 一日, 15.8K for 朔日, and 11.8K for 朔. ご参照までに。(^^) Aug 26, 2021 at 0:19
  • What about "Have a good day"? @EiríkrÚtlendi Aug 26, 2021 at 4:40
  • @Scratch---Cat, what are you trying to express when you say "have a good day"? I'm most accustomed to hearing this as a generic kind of "goodbye", usually in a retail setting, in which case the Japanese would be very context dependent -- often something like ありがとうございました (arigatō gozaimashita, "thank you [for coming]"), or またお[越]{こ}しください (mata o-koshi kudasai, "please come again"), etc. Aug 26, 2021 at 17:40

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .