This is a sentence I've encountered in my studies:

ウィーナーを生のまま食べました

It means something like "The sausage remained raw and I ate it." However, I'm confused as to why it's structured like this. From what I've looked up on the genitive case, it's supposed to affect the following noun. However, in this situation 生 seems to be modifying a preceding noun. Furthermore, I think it might not be a genitive case because the rules of using まま state that if it's preceded by a noun you need to put a の between them. So, does that mean that the を actually belongs to 生 and not 食べました (via marking the direct object)? Lastly, wouldn't it make more sense to put the 生の in front of ウィーナー?

「ウィーナー」って?「ウィナー」?
    – chocolate
    Aug 24, 2021 at 0:22
  • @Chocolate I hadn't thought about that difference. I just assumed the OP given the correct expression.
    – A.Ellett
    Aug 24, 2021 at 0:25

1 Answer 1

The core of this sentence is

ウインナー を食べました

which just means, "I ate the sausage".

In this context

生のまま

works as an adverb describing the manner in which the sausage was eaten. This may come across a bit strange, but まま is a noun essentially meaning manner. Unlike what you might expect, you can just use the bare word まま without additional particles to get this adverbial function.

Also in this case 生 is read なま. It is grammatically treated as a noun. In particular, as a noun, it doesn't govern an object as a verb would. Thus を cannot be tied to it; を must be tied with the verb. The only verb present is 食べました.

As a second example, you can say

帽子をかぶったまま部屋に入った

They entered the room wearing their hats

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .