I'm a little confused as to who the sentence is referring to as the satisfied/dissatisfied person.

for example: 彼はもう彼女満足できない。

I understand this sentence to mean: He cant be satisfied by/with her anymore.

I know I can flip 彼 and 彼女 to mean that the girl is the one unsatisfied with him. But this would make her the subject.

How would I structure a sentence in Japanese that would still keep him as the subject?

for example: He cant satisfy her anymore.(it's what I originally thought the example meant)

Also, is there a rule I should follow in the future to understand it correctly?


To say "He can't be satisfied by/with her anymore", you use the particle に, as in:


To say "He can't satisfy her anymore", you'd say:


using the causative form ~させる. (られる is the potential auxiliary.)

Basic structures are:

「AがBに満足する」 -- "A is satisfied with B"
「AがBを満足させる」 -- "A satisfies B"

  • Thank you very so much for the help!
    – Danny D
    Aug 24 '21 at 0:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.