The following is text from the opening of the game Fire Emblem Monshou no Nazo:

おお! 我らが母なる大地

7つを1000も重ねた間

絶望という時代あり

我らが 天に救いを求める事

7年と7月と7日の間

If I understand correctly, the highlighted phrase says that there was a period where 7 "somethings" were repeated 1000 times. Does this refer to years? It is not necessarily clear from the context since this is what the game opens with.

Nothing indicates it's specifically 7000 "years", so this should be taken as a myth-esque, archaic-sounding way of saying "very long time too long to measure precisely". In other words, it appears to me that it's a fancy way of saying "countless ages", not "7000 years".

This odd-looking expression should be loosely related to the fact that old Japanese (yamato kotoba) was poor at counting large numbers systematically and the fact that 8 was treated as a pronoun for large numbers (cf. 八千代). Fire Emblem is not set in Japan, but when Japanese people see an expression like this, they feel it looks like an old myth or a legend.

7つを1000も重ねた間

Probably it corresponds to 千重{ちえ} which implies a huge accumulations.

According to デジタル大辞泉,

ち‐え〔‐へ〕【千重】 たくさん重なること。

「ま幸(さき)くて妹が斎(いは)はば沖つ波―に立つとも障(さは)りあらめやも」〈万・三五八三〉

I believe 八重{やえ} has also a similar nuance in Japanese culture and more common.

や‐え〔‐へ〕【八重】

1 八つ重なっていること。転じて、数多く重なっていること。また、そのもの。「七重の膝(ひざ)を八重に折る」

Also, 7 is regarded as a symbolic number which has a great importance in many cultures.

All in all, the phrase might be a metaphor of "very long period" which is similar to the concept of 刧{こう}. Probably this kind of a metaphor for the time is seen in many folklore or myth in many cultures of human beings.

This is an interesting response but unless I'm missing something I don't think it directly answers my question. If I understood you correctly you interpreted the sentence to mean 千重 (many piles) of "something". I wanted to know what that "something" is. Like I said in my post, my initial guess was "years", which would mean the phrase is a fancy way of saying "7000 years" I guess. If that's the case though I don't really know for sure why it makes sense to use 7つ and not 7年.
    – ssuga
    Aug 21 at 8:16
  • @ssuga I felt the "something" is what you need to find in the RPG's plot . That s to say, the symbols/places/etc. what you are going through in the plots should be related to the number 7. Aug 21 at 8:59
  • @kimiTanaka 本編テキストを文字起こしているサイトを見つけたのでざっと確認しましたが、本編ストーリー内で7という数字に大した意味があるわけではなさそうです。
    – naruto
    Aug 21 at 10:23
  • @naruto ウィキペディアによると、「アカネイア大陸には7つの王国があり、小さな争いこそあるものの平和な状態が続いていた。たが、暗黒司祭ガーネフによって、平和の時が破られた。100年前に英雄アンリによって倒された暗黒竜メディウスがガーネフによって復活させられた。そして、再び世界を支配せんと恐怖の進撃を開始した。アンリの血を引くアリティア王コーネリアスは、神剣ファルシオンを手にメディウスに立ち向かった。しかし同盟国の裏切りによって逆襲を受けてしまう。アリティアは滅亡し、まだ幼い王子は辺境の島国タリスに逃れた。マルス王子が16歳になったとき、タリスにもメディウスの魔の手が伸びてきた。マルスはついにメディウス討伐軍を決起した。それは、長い暗黒戦争の始まりであった。」と言うプロットなので、比喩表現「長い時間」と具体的表現「7王国」のどちらも示しているのかと思いました。プレイした事があるので、あまり違和感はない解釈です。大分前ですが。 Aug 21 at 10:42
    「7」王国というのは偶然でしょう…これを見る限り王国の数が7になったのはストーリー開始のわずか25年前ですし、ある時点での王国の数が神話に出てくる7と何か必然的に関係するという話ではなさそうですし。
    – naruto
    Aug 21 at 11:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.