I've seen a few sentences with this, "(~る)がために" construction, however whenever I look it up I just get grammar points about "(ないーform)んがために". Is "(~る)がために" just a more emphasized version of regular ために?

The sentences (they are unrelated to each other)

1. 惰性に身を任せているがために今のような現在があるんですね。

2. おまえさんとこのジョーは自分の身を守るがためにわしらの子どもまでまきぞえにしとるんやで。

3. しかもそれらは一般に常用されるがために日々増えている。

4. あなたが公園ででくわすほとんど全てのいやな出来事は、妖精たちがあなたに悪意をもってるがために起きることです。

1 Answer 1

Yes, 任せているために is the modern plain version, whereas 任せているがために is its literary (and perhaps emphatic) equivalent. This が is an archaic possessive/noun-linking particle that is still in use in a few fixed constructions including this one. ~んがために is a literary version that also has an archaic volitional auxiliary む/ん.

Modern ために means both "because" and "in order to", but I think plain-form + がために tends to mean the former because it lacks む/ん. For example, 車を買いたいがために貯金する sounds fine, but 車を買うがために貯金する and your second example sound a little unnatural to me, if not wrong. 車を買わんがために貯金する and 身を守らんがために sound much more natural (although stilted).

ために がために む + がために
Godan 買うために
in order to buy
because someone buys
買うがために
(usu.) because someone buys
買わんがために
in order to buy
Ichidan 見るために 見るがために 見んがために
Suru するために するがために せんがために
Past したために したがために N/A
Na-adj 有名であるために
有名なために
有名であるがために
有名がために (rare)
N/A
I-adj 美しいために 美しいがために N/A

For details, please see the following questions:

• Wouldn't it better to describe this use of が as appositive (㋓同格。…という。) or content-indicating (② 下の形式名詞(「から、ごと、むた、まにま、ため」等)の実質、内容を示す。), or, more broadly, attributive, rather than possessive? (The glosses in parentheses are taken from here: kotobank.jp/word/%E3%81%8C-456340)
    – goldbrick
    Aug 16, 2021 at 9:25
  • @goldbrick 古語のガの同格用法は「我らが二人」とか「明日が日」のような例があるようですが、稀のようですし意味的にも違う気がします。「見る、即ち、タメ」ということではないので。広く attributive とか noun-linking と言っておく分には間違いないと思うのですが、まあノ/ガの代表的用法が possessive であり content-indicating というのもその派生だということで…
    – naruto
    Aug 16, 2021 at 16:47
  • 同格関係を「即ち」で表す場合は、「が」「という」で表す場合の前項と後項が逆転すべきではないでしょうか。「我ら(が/という)二人」「明日(が/という)日」「見る(が/という)為(=理由)」⇔「二人、即ち、我ら」「日、即ち、明日」「為(=理由)、即ち、見る(こと)」 Anyway, as always it's gracious and conscientious of you to respond to and try to accommodate other people's inputs as mush as you see fit. Thanks!
    – goldbrick
    Aug 16, 2021 at 22:07

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .