I'm trying to memorize the kanji 発 and a few of its most important usages in vocab.

Jisho says はっけん means discovery and はつめい means invention. Aren't these synonyms of each other? They are both used in, for example, a scientific context or for new technologies. What are the differences?

You can safely follow the difference of discovery/invention for 発見/発明, I suppose.

• 彼は遺跡を{発見した/*発明した} : He discovered/*invented the remains.
  • 彼はラジオを{*発見した/発明した}: He *discovered/invented radio.

発明した is used usually for things made by the subject, just like invent. Let me know if I'm wrong in the assumption.

If I am making the correct conclusion with your answer "はっけん" means more like "to find" "found"? "Stumbled upon"? Aug 13 at 7:17
  • Yes, 見つける/発見する are mostly interchangeable. One thing worth noting about difference between 発明する and invent is that 発明する cannot be used in the sense of telling a lie. E.g. He invented a story / *彼は話を発明した (でっちあげた is the correct verb here).
    – sundowner
    Aug 13 at 7:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.