is いいえ/no the same as not? For example, if I said,いいえ きょう, would that mean Not Today? Or No Today? I know google translate is known to be inaccurate, but it shows both Not and No as the same, いいえ. Sorry if this is kind of a dumb question, but I'm getting kind of confused. The language app I use to learn is Drops if that helps, and I am a beginner.

2 Answers 2

It just means "No". "Not Today" would be 今日じゃないです or 今日ではありません. (Keep in mind that sentence structures are quite different from English.)

• thank you, I am very new to learning, and I dont know much at all about structuring, or punctuation, just speaking. Aug 9, 2021 at 17:55

For starters, your premise about いいえ not entirely correct. いいえ does not translate directly to English no; it really means what amounts to negative or opposite. So while most of the time that can directly translate to no, it "naturally" translates to English yes when the preceding question is negative (and similarly for はい).

A: おい、[今日]{きょう}[公園]{こう・えん}に[行]{い}きますか:  Hey, are you going to the park today?
B: いいえ、行きません:  No (I'm not going)—sounds fine in English.

A: 今日公園に[行きません]{not going}か: Aren't you going to the park today?

Natural English (what we'd say) → Japanese → Literal English (what it means)

• You aren't going:  "No, I am not going" →  「はい、行きません」 → Yes/Affirmative/Correct, I am [not going]{行きません}
  • You are going:  "Yeah, I am going" → 「いいえ、行きます」 → "No/Negative/Incorrect (I am not [not going]{行きません}), I am going"

So its meaning is directly tied to the actual verb form used.

So now knowing a broader meaning of いいえ, you can see that it cannot be applied to "not today". As @Vue said, it has to be 今日じゃない or 今日ではありません ("(it is) not today").

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .