Found this sentence:

両親が死んだというのに、悲しもうとすらしない俺向けられる目が。クズみたいなニート向けられる目、敵意。軽蔑。

That に in 「悲しもうとすらしない俺に向けられる目が」is acting as the indirect object or is it marking the doer? Since it's a passive sentence.

This ~に is marking the target/destination of the 目. ~に used in a passive construction does not necessarily mark the doer (agent).

向けられる目
stares cast to me
(not "stares cast by me")

Now you may be wondering if に in a passive sentence can be ambiguous. The answer is yes. See the following questions:

• I still don't understand why 向ける is passive here. Will 俺に向ける目 also work? Can you write 俺に向けられる目 as a non-passive sentence?「Xが目を俺に向ける」とか
    – Jimmy Yang
    Aug 6 at 7:13
    @JimmyYang XをYに向ける means "to direct X to Y". Naturally, its passive version is XがYに向けられる ("X is directed to Y"), and its relativized version is Yに向けられるX ("X which is directed to Y"). 俺に向ける目 is "stares [someone] casts to me", which is grammatical but defeats the main purpose of passive voice here. Do you remember "suffering passive"?
    – naruto
    Aug 6 at 7:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.