I think everyone can agree that 宵宮(よいみや) has 4 mora. But one side says it has 4 syllables because there are 4 vowels.

The other side says "Yoi" is similar to the かあ in 母さん and thus only have 3 syllables. https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9%9F%B3%E7%AF%80#%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AC%E8%AA%9E%E3%81%AE%E9%9F%B3%E7%AF%80

Which side is right here?

• Which part of the linked article says /oi/ is similar to /aa/ or /ii/ when it comes to counting syllables?
    – aguijonazo
    Aug 4 at 9:28
  • Nowhere. The linked article says かあ is one syllable. One side contends (without evidence) that the "よい" situation is like the "かあ" situation . Aug 4 at 9:33
  • Do you have any reference?
    – aguijonazo
    Aug 4 at 9:34
  • Unfortunately I don't have a public reference. This is just an online argument between two people. One guy alleges it's 3 syllables while the other guy alleges it's 4 syllables. I don't know which side is correct. Aug 4 at 9:38
    "Syllable" is an ambiguous word in Japanese studies. Some use syllable to tell the exact English concept of syllable, where other as a synonym of "mora" because the former "syllable" has little meaning in Standard Japanese. You have to check out how they define the word. Aug 5 at 4:10

[宵宮]{よいみや} takes four syllables.

I don’t know about the game(?) character, but as a normal word, it seems to be pronounced as よいみや{LHHH} according to NHK’s accent dictionary.

The same word is also read as よみや{HLL}, and it can be written as 夜宮 in this case.

If it is a person’s last name, I would guess it is pronounced as よいみや{LHLL}.

The /oi/ sequence could sometimes sound like it constitutes one syllable (i.e. diphthong), as in よいこ{HLL}, but I think it is generally considered a combination of two syllables.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.