I've found it in a parody website novel:

のそのそしてる間に攻撃されて終わりだよ。

I tried to separate grammatically 攻撃されて終わりだ, but it's seems wrong to me:

Passive voice in the て form + Aux-verb in the ます stem + だ Copulative Verb

だ can't following a verb stem in order to spend the idea of informally (given that the plain form already does it), and still the 終わり is being used with the て form (like aux-verb, if it was the case). I've seen that, in the most of the time, it is used with the ます stem.

Is it a right interpretation did I do?

NOTE: I saw it too in a news in the following phrase:

「きょうは独り言を言って終わりだ」。

(Edit: I noticed I forgot to explicitly answer the main question. Yes, as far as I can tell it is grammatically correct.)

終わり is the so called 連用形(れんようけい)"connective form" of 終わる. This form does indeed serve as ます-stem, but it can also serve as a nominalization of the verb. In this case 終わり means "(the) end".

In fact, the 連用形 ("ます-stem") can be used to create nouns for most verbs. The resulting noun will have the meaning of "the act of ~ing", but it can often carry additional meanings as well:

切る "to cut" -> 切り "cutting (the action)", or more frequently: "cut (the result), "limit" (in an expansion of the original sense) etc.

The て-form can be used to connect the previous phrase with a following auxiliary verb, but it can also connect the previous phrase with a following phrase (and not neccessarily an auxiliary). This connection can be a temporal one / succession (AしてB: "Do A and then B"), or as it seems to be the case in your question, a rather conditional one (攻撃されて終わりだ: "If you get attacked, it's the end (= it's over)"). This conditional sense resembles the usage of the auxiliaries -たら or -ぇば.

I'm lacking the context but I'd guess an appropriate translation would be something like: "If we get attacked while we're slugging around, we're done for!"

(ps This is my very first time posting on Stack Exchange so I hope I didn't mess anything up. Feel free to provide feedback, edit or correct me if neccessary.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.