I'm trying to understand this sentence: 言ったのは少女のひとりだった。, which is translated as "It was one of the girls who said it.".

I've understood the first 2 parts:

• 言ったの = noun-ified (past tense of talking) = the talking that happened in the past
  • 少女のひとり = a singular girl

However, I don't understand the function of the だった.

Tofugu says だった is a past tense marker, but here 言った is already past tense, so I don't see the purpose.

Tae Kim says だった means "something was something" but that interpretation doesn't make sense here.

What is the purpose of the だった here?

Looks like this happens in english too- "What he said was....", that has two past tenses like your sentence
    – OtheJared
    Jul 18 at 18:52
  • だった="it was"; 言ったの="who said it".
    – A.Ellett
    Jul 18 at 18:54

言ったのは少女のひとりだ is also a valid sentence. It is understood as a statement of a fact about a past event. 言ったのは少女のひとりだった means the same but it somewhat sounds like it is describing the time when that event happened.

This is partially related.

A similar question could be asked about the tense of a cleft sentence in English. I found this but it is closed as “too basic”. I don't think it is.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.