I keep seeing this at the end of sentences lately, but couldn't find much explaining it online. When I see it, I feel like it's usually serving as some kind of explanation but I'm not entirely sure. For example, I was watching a show and a character asks why the other is wearing a uniform. They then say: 今日バスケ部の試合だったんだ。ちょっとお手伝いでね。 I understand that he was explaining he was just there to help out, but I don't understand the nuance でね adds to the sentence.

This is not some special construction, but is a simple combination of で and ね. ね is a sentence-final particle used to seek agreement or draw the listener's attention.

で can be either a case particle or the continuative form of the copula だ. As a case particle, で has many roles, so its translation can vary.

• 東京でね。
    (That is) in Tokyo, you know.
  • 3日でね。
    Within three days, okay?
  • ハサミでね。
    With/Using scissors, right?
  • 1人でね!
    (You do it) alone!

Likewise, で in お手伝いで is a case particle that marks a condition/scope/situation.

• 手伝いバスケの試合に出た。
    I went to a basketball game as an aid/help.
  • ちょっとお手伝いね。
    As a little help, you know.

で can also be the te-form of the copula (だ). A te-form can be at the end of a sentence in casual speech. For examples of this type of でね, see: What exactly is this でね construction?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.