I have a problem understanding the semantic of で in the following example.

ダイエットは3日で止めて仕舞った。

My loose translation would be

I already gave up on the diet after 3 days.

And a more precise one

As for the diet, I regrettably stopped it after 3 days.

From my understanding, で is used to say "after". But で usually marks the method by which an action occurs.

So, is my translation "after 3 days" correct? Can you name a more precise translation for the example? And what is the semantic of で in respect to this example?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Japanese StackExchange!

Your translation sounds nice and correct. 仕舞った(しまった) sounds a regrettable nuance so the second one is also done well.

Other than marking the method, で may appear next to a duration when you do something in the (limited) duration.

A「夏休{なつやす}みの宿題{しゅくだい}を[3日]{みっか}で[終]{お}わらせたよ。」 (I finished the homework of the summer holidays in 3 days.)

B「[3日]{みっか}で!?」 (Only 3 days!?)

A「[手伝]{てつだ}ってくれない?[5分]{ごふん}でいいから」(Could you help me? It'll take only 5 minutes.)

B「[忙]{いそが}しいけど[5分]{ごふん}ならいいよ。」(I'm busy now but, okay, only 5 minutes.)

• 終わらせた sounds wrong to me here. Like "I made the homework finish (itself)".
    – istrasci
    Oct 6 '21 at 15:36
  • I’m not sure if the で in the last dialog is the same. That 5分 could be replaced with something that is not a duration, such as 明日.
    – aguijonazo
    Oct 6 '21 at 16:55
    @istrasci - 終わらせた is correct. It works the same way as 済ませた. It’s kind of like saying “got it done” in that the verb takes what is finished as a direct object.
    – aguijonazo
    Oct 7 '21 at 2:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.