What does ものが mean in this sentence : 私 は あなた に あげる もの が 何も ない。

As far as I understood, ものが means "nothing". But then why do we also have 何も, which also means "nothing"?

What gave you the idea that ものが means 'nothing'? A natural sounding translation of the sentence might be 'I have nothing to give to you', but literally it's 'There are no things I will give to you.'

もの is simply 'things', and が is serving its usual grammatical purpose of marking a subject. 何も here is acting as mere emphasis for a negative sentence, much like in the sentence 何も心配する必要はない.

• Thank you very much for your answer. "acting as mere emphasis for a negative sentence" made the explanation very clear. So as I can leave away "何も"? 私 は あなた に あげる もの が ない。
    – starckman
    Jul 13 '21 at 11:48
    @starckman Yes, 何も can safely be removed without changing the meaning.
    – Angelos
    Jul 13 '21 at 19:31

「ものが」is not one word. It is two (「もの」("thing") + 「が」(subject particle))

Here, the modifying clause「あなた に あげる」("give to you") is put on the front of「もの」("thing(s)") to make「あなた に あげる もの」("thing(s) to be given to you").

This whole construction is then made the subject of the larger sentence by tacking on the subject particle (が), thus:

• 私は -- "as for me"
  • あなたにあげるもの -- "(the) thing(s) to be given to you"
  • が (subject particle)
  • 何も -- "nothing" (used with a negative verb)
  • ない -- "isn't" (so 何もない basically means "(there) is nothing" or "(there) isn't anything")

--> "As for me, the things to be given to you are nothing." --> "There is nothing for me to give you" / "There is nothing I will give you" / etc.

• Thank you very much. The literary translation is very useful
    – starckman
    Jul 13 '21 at 11:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.