So I am very new to Japanese (1 week of study) so please bear with me and forgive me for my mistakes. I will use romanji as i do not know the entire hiragana yet

My translation: Watashi to watashi no kanojo wa tokyo ni sunde imasu

I do not like how I am repeating Watashi twice. I feel like that sounds weird, how would i fix i?

Also are all the particles correct? The topic is "Watashi to watashi no kanojo", I assume the listener is familiar with my girlfriend hence i used wa. If they did not know i have a girlfriend would I have used ga? as that is a new piece of information in the universe of discourse?

The particle to can be used to connect two nouns in this case me and my girlfriend. no shows possession, it is my girlfriend not some girlfriend. ni shows location of where the verb is happening.

• Re: not repeating 'Watashi' twice - You will learn that much in Japanese can be omitted, yet still understood by context. If you simply said, "Watashi to kanojo wa...", the listener would understand you mean your own girlfriend and not someone else's.
    – istrasci
    Jul 6 at 19:47

Don't worry, your translation is correct. Let's break it down one by one:

Me(watashi) and my(to watashi no) girlfriend(kanojo) live in tokyo(wa tokyo ni sunde imasu).

The reason you're repeating watashi twice is watashi and watashi no is entirely different.

I know that it's not the best way to describe it, but it's not the same as saying she's my property(watashi no), and yourself(watashi).

Even if the listener didn't know about your girlfriend we'd still use wa, if you used ga it'd be translated to Me and my girlfriend are living in Tokyo..

I know it's not much of a different, but even small differences are important to a language.

The sentence with ga might be better translated as "Me and my girlfriend are the ones living in Tokyo."
    – aguijonazo
    Jul 5 at 8:33
  • @aguijonazo Hmm... I don't think so, I'd translate that to 東京に住んでいるのは私と彼女です。
    – Skye-AT
    Jul 5 at 8:38
  • ^ Well.. these (=私と彼女東京に住んでいます。and 東京に住んでいるの私と彼女です) are pretty much interchangeable, no? 明鏡国語辞典 says: 「一番早く来たの太郎だ」「クラス委員私です」「日直誰ですか」...「太郎一番早く来た」「私クラス委員です」「誰日直ですか」のように、説明されるものを「が」で、説明の部分を述部で示す文に置き換えられる。「太郎は学生だ」は、太郎について、学生だという説明を加えるものだが、「 学生は太郎だ(=太郎が学生だ) 」は、ある範囲から学生に合うものを探して、それは太郎だと説明することを表す。
    – Chocolate
    Jul 5 at 8:55
  • You're right, I may have been a bit obsessive. Thanks for letting me know.
    – Skye-AT
    Jul 5 at 9:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.