Context: I follow a Japanese artist on Pixiv who posts short original manga periodically. Recently he posted a new chapter of his manga ahead of his posted schedule announced on his Twitter, I read the new chapter and replied "早い!" thought I convey the meaning "wow you posted this early!" I know I could have phrased it better but I was too excited and still quite new in Japanese (N4). The original creator replied to my comment with "即オチ" I then did a little research trying to understand what he meant but I couldn't... Seems like an internet slang. Can anyone explain the meaning of this slang?

Oh... I think I dug up your original tweet and naruto's answer seems mostly correct. It'd be something like "insta-surrender". Jun 26 at 2:55
  • haha you actually found it? Also I am not sure how you get the phrase "insta-surrender"
    – jack888
    Jun 27 at 4:35

即 means "instant" or "immediate". オチ is from 落ちる, and has two major meanings:

1. punchline (of a joke), final joke (of a comedy performance), final result (of a story)
  2. falling in love, being hooked, being addicted

So 即【そく】オチ refers to a type of manga where the funniest part comes near the very beginning, or a manga that is simply very short, or a manga where someone falls in love immediately. Either way, I think the author thought your comment (早い!) referred to the content or length of the manga rather than the post date. Does the posted manga fit this description?

• Ohh interesting, in that case, the author might actually think I was referring to the content of the manga. However, I am still unsure, what would the English equivalent to this?
    – jack888
    Jun 27 at 4:34
  • @jack888 Sorry, I don't even know if there is an equivalent.
    – naruto
    Jun 28 at 22:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.