There seem to be a limited number of u-row characters that do not have verbs associated with them, and I'm curious why some of them do not exist. There once were ふ verbs, but there are no ぷ、ず、ゆ、づ verbs. I might as well throw ぬ in there because there are only one modern and two older ぬ verbs, so, while not nonexistant, that's pretty rare.

I'm curious if there aren't more ぬ or any ず verbs due to those being formal conjugation endings, though the others are not conjugations, so that wouldn't explain those.

EDIT, related: Are there verbs that end with ず,づ, ふ, ぷ, しゅう, ちゅう and じゅう? Why not?

Though, I'm specifically asking why these no longer exist. Even if ずる verbs changed over time and disappeared, there's no reason that new ones ending in ず couldn't come up.

Also i've never seen an answer for why there are no ゆ verbs.

• possible related: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/2638/… though i'm specifically asking why these no longer exist. even if ずる verbs changed over time, there's no reason that new ones ending in ず couldn't come up. also i've never seen an answer for why there are no ゆ verbs.
    – eruciform
    Jun 23 at 16:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.