I'm reading a manga in which a character says, 「って稀!」 in response to another character doing something unusual. I understand that 稀 can be translated as "rare," "unusual," etc. However, the character being spoken to in this case is named 希 (reading: のぞみ), which is almost the same as 稀 (and indeed, can share the same reading/meaning).

Is this meant to be understood as a pun, or is it just a coincidence that arises from natural speech?

What's the name of 希 in kana? まれ? のぞみ?
    – naruto
    Jun 22 '21 at 5:51
    @naruto In this case it's のぞみ, edited the question to clarify!
    – Nozoomy
    Jun 22 '21 at 5:54
  • Can you tell me more about it? For example, what is the relationship between のぞみ and the character who uses this word?
    – Skye-AT
    Jun 22 '21 at 6:34

From what I can see, I don't think this is a pun. To begin with, the character's name is not まれ but のぞみ. 希 is rarely read as まれ in modern standard Japanese.

Still, 稀 is a relatively bookish word, and ordinary speakers wouldn't say "って稀!" to mean something like "That's rare!" in speech. With more context, I may be able to say something more. Either way, the chances of it being a pun are slim to none.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.