Is 略字 (handwriting simplification) used only in informal writing (like a diary or post-it annotations) or is it used in more formal situations (like teacher/professor blackboard writing or an essay)?

Well, there are many types of 略字. https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%95%A5%E5%AD%97

Short answer: it might be used on blackboard.

Generally speaking, I don't think primary school teachers use them, and also unlikely secondary school teachers. I remember my history teacher in high school using 口 for 国. But it was rather a memorable exception. As for essays, probably it does not make much sense because everything is typed these days.

Almost the 略字 everybody uses and recognizes would be 冂 (with vertical stroke at the top) for 門(see the link above). Including this one, there are a number of abbreviations that surprise nobody if used by teachers, but not so many.

Personally I think people (including me) just use characters deformed in their own way, not the clearly defined variant of those characters.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.