s

The source is from the manga Blue Period. For further context, students were split into teams to make curry, and whichever wins will get money for prize.

Is your question more about the meaning of 金一封 (since you write "whichever wins will get money for prize" so it appears to me that you already know what it means), or more about the meaning/usage of the past tense もらっ ? If that's the latter then your question should be a duplicate of this and this.
    – Chocolate
    Jun 19, 2021 at 10:10

1 Answer 1

Your question has a slight typo that is hard to see -- you've used ー, Unicode codepoint 30FC, the 長音符【ちょうおんぷ】 or 伸ばし【のばし】 mark used to indicate a long vowel. In vertical text, this is always a vertical line, so we can tell that the correct character instead is 一【いち】, Unicode codepoint 4E00, the kanji meaning "one", which is always a horizontal line, even in vertical text. In horizontal text, these two might look identical, depending on font, but copy-pasting these into online dictionaries will give you very different results.

In your manga text, we have the word:

(Links go to the relevant entry in the Weblio E-J / J-E free online dictionary.)

In other words, someone got an envelope with money in it, probably a traditional gift looking a bit like this:

Traditional Japanese "kinpū" or gift-money envelope

[金一封]{きんいっぷう} is the word here.
    – aguijonazo
    Jun 18, 2021 at 22:44
  • @aguijonazo: Ha! Never even occurred to me that that would be a single integral term. Thank you! I'll update my post. Jun 18, 2021 at 22:45
    someone got an envelope with money in it -- ん?まだもらってないです。その「もらっ 」は、「優勝賞金はもらっも同然だ」「(うちのチームは)優勝しも同然だ」って意味です。ところでその封筒は結婚祝用だから普通はこんなやつ→google.co.jp/…
    – Chocolate
    Jun 19, 2021 at 2:41
    (cont.) この「た」です:japanese.stackexchange.com/a/73852/9831 / japanese.stackexchange.com/a/85795/9831
    – Chocolate
    Jun 19, 2021 at 2:54

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .