So I think both 監督(かんとく)and 管理(かんり)are different from 経営(けいえい)in that 経営 refers to managing a business. However the word "control" can be used for many things in English:

1. To have control and power over an institution, like the government controlling the media or the banks
  2. To control a remote-control item, although that could also be 操作(そうさ)
  3. To prevent something from acting poorly or misbehaving, such as controlling a difficult situation or a rude child. E.g. "get your kid under control" or "I have the situation under control"
  4. Monitoring or keeping an eye on something

Most of these probably have different words in Japanese, but I'm especially confused over definition 1.

All these can be differentiated by having deeper understanding of Kanji. But to simplify it:
監督 - Movie directors (映画監督) comes in mind in most of the time, usually means a single person that is assigned a task to control. Or 監督する to take control, usually in an environment/situation.

管理 - Has a very wide meaning of to control/management. Example 監督 is actually a part of 管理(職)(Management) in an organization. 管理する means to manage more than to control.

経営 - Means exactly as you mentioned, is more of a position of managing business or to manage a business. It also has a general understanding of a higher position than 監督

操作 - Rather than control, is more of a manipulation towards an object/a person.

• Isn't 映画監督 a movie director, not a producer?
    – istrasci
    Jun 16 at 15:53
  • @istrasci Yea you are right, edited the answers.
    – Cerceis
    Jun 16 at 23:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.