I am doing some JLPT prep, and I'm struggling with the differences between ほがらかな and 人懐っこい。

私は、誰にでも抱っこされる( )赤ちゃんだったらしい。

A「ほがらかな」 B「人懐っこい」

The given correct answer is 人懐っこい which I can understand as a sociable/friendly baby anyone can hold.

But I don't see how ほがらかな is a bad choice. A cheerful/happy baby anyone can hold seems fine to me...

Any hints?

• JLPT questions tend to look for the best fitting or most appropriate answer. – JansthcirlU Jun 11 at 12:32
  • @JansthcirlU But ほがらかな赤ちゃん sounds rather unnatural to me. – naruto Jun 11 at 14:06

Perhaps even without those options, many native speakers can instantly give 人懐っこい or 人見知り(を)しない as the most natural expression which fits in that blank. 人懐っこい is such a common adjective to describe a friendly baby who smiles instead of crying when held by a stranger. 人懐っこい is also commonly used to describe a friendly animal. This is a rather simple vocabulary question, so you have to memorize it.

ほがらか doesn't match the definition in that sentence, and it's usually not used to describe a baby whose personality is not formed yet. I feel someone who is ほがらか is usually at least three years old. We don't use ほがらか to describe an animal, either.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.