I have started reading 「魔女の宅急便」, and I found a sentence I quite understand, but for the exact meaning of 「ですが」:

キキのばあいも、十歳の中ごろ、魔女になる決心をしたのですが、そのあとすぐ、コキリさんの持っている魔法を習いはじめました

As far as I know, 「ですが」 means something like "but", and on Jisho is listed as such; as far as I understand, Weblio agrees.

With that meaning, I would translate the sentence something like "Kiki too, when she was ten years old, decided to become a witch, but immediately after that she started to learn the magic Kokiri [Kiki's mother] knew" (literally, "have", but in English maybe "know" is a better fit).

Now, in the book girls deciding if they will be witches when they are 10 years old, and if so starting training, is the norm; my doubt is that if I were to write the same sentence in English, I'd write something on the line of "she decide to become a witch, so immediately after", since it's a quite logical consequence of her decision. I don't understand why 「ですが」 is used, since if I were to translate it "but" in English it would give a meaning of something unexpected, in some way contrary to the premise (e.g., "she decided not to become a which, but she started training all the same": in this case, the training would not be the logical consequence of her choice).

So, I was wondering what's the implication and/or reason to use 「ですが」 in this sentence.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.