In a language exercise, I was supposed to write the following in Japanese: "Please close the window." Intuitively, I thought, since 窓 is the direct object of 閉めて, then probably

窓を閉めてください

I found out the correct answer is:

窓は閉めてください。

My question is, is 窓を閉めてください a grammatical sentence at all? If it is, then does it mean something different from 窓は閉めてください?

Further on in the same exercise, I came across another sentence:

その窓を閉めてください

I thought, strange, why is it now を and not は? So now my other question is: is その窓は閉めてください grammatical? And if it is, does it mean something different from その窓を閉めてください?

May I add that it's an online exercise, so I had no teacher to ask. Thanks for helping.

The “correct” answer with は is correct only in certain contexts. Does that exercise have any context? Without it, your answer with を should be considered more generally correct. – aguijonazo Jun 9 at 3:53
  • @aguijonazo No, it doesn't have a context. Just stand-alone sentences. – monalisa Jun 9 at 5:11
  • In that case, your question might be closed as a duplicate. Have you searched for similar questions in this forum? As an example, The difference between は and を? might help, although this itself has been closed as a duplicate. – aguijonazo Jun 9 at 5:21
  • When you say an online exercise, is it a published resource? Or is it just a website that collects sample problems and posts them? If it's the latter, they may just be exercises that aren't well thought out. – Leebo Jun 9 at 5:23
  • @aguijonazo I did read all the questions that popped up when I started to write mine, and didn't find what I wanted. Will try a more thorough search next time. – monalisa Jun 11 at 17:31

窓を閉めてください is perfectly correct and natural as the translation of "Please close the window." If there is no other context, there is nothing wrong with your translation.

窓は閉めてください is also a perfectly grammatical sentence, but its meaning is different, because 窓 is now topicalized using は. Note that は is a topic particle, and it can replace both が and を. In other words, 窓 is still the direct object of 閉める, but を is "masked" by the topic marker は. Since 窓 is topicalized, this sentence is now about the window itself; the speaker wants to state a fact, a rule or something regarding this window. A very literal translation is "As for the window, please close [it]". A sentence like this implies you have to always close this window (e.g., at the end of a day), and you have to remember this as a rule.

To summarize, if the original English sentence is a simple one-time request, 窓を閉めてください is correct. If the original English sentence is presented as a rule to remember, 窓は閉めてください is also correct.

• Thanks. How about the other sentences with その? Do they work the same way? What confused me was with その, they seem to want その窓を ... and not その窓は ... – monalisa Jun 9 at 14:09
    @monalisa その makes no difference. "Please close that window (now)" vs "Regarding that window, please (always) close it." – naruto Jun 11 at 14:10
  • Haha, maybe I am reading too much into the differences. That's the problem with learning without a teacher. Thanks for answering. – monalisa Jun 11 at 17:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.