I don't understand how to use the right particle after ほか。

Do these examples are correct? If yes what are the differences or nuances between these examples ?

What else did you eat? :

• ほかに何を食べましたか。
  • ほか何を食べましたか。
  • ほかには何を食べましたか。

I didn't eat anything besides pizza.

• ピザのほかに何も食べませんでした。
  • ピザのほかは何も食べませんでした。
  • ピザのほかには何も食べませんでした。

Yes, your six examples sentences are all correct.

ほか followed by no particle works as a conjunction. ほかの works attributively (i.e., modifies the following noun). This difference is important:

• ほか、牛がいる。
    In addition, there is a cow. / Besides, there are (some) cows.
  • 猫のほか、牛がいる。
    In addition to the cat(s), there is a cow.
  • ほかの牛がいる。
    There is another cow. / There are other cows.
  • × 猫のほかの牛がいる。 (nonsense: "cows other than cats")

ほかに is tricky and it can work like both ほか and ほかの. There tends to be a small pause or a comma when it works as a conjunction.

は in your examples is just a topic/contrast marker, and it's often optional (see this and this for similar examples). It's particularly common in negative sentences. It adds a slight emphasis, but doesn't change the overall meaning of the sentence.

• Thanks for your reply, that's much more clear. The の part was easy for me, now I understand the meaning of the は, but I don't understand the nuance with に, if you can give me some explanation it will be great :) – Poulp Jun 17 at 15:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.