During an exchange in which a character asks another to participate in an event, the other character replies さんかで。(I'm writing it in hiragana 'cause I'm still not sure of the kanjis.) Context-wise the only possible meaning for that phrase considering the reactions of the characters is "I'm not participating", and I checked the subs to be sure and that's what they went with as well. Going with that interpretation, the only way I could make sense of it is if it was written as 参加出, but I can't find an example of it online, and that worries me. I also tried looking for it in plain hiragana, I tried looking up synonyms and quasi-synonyms of 参加しない, and nothing. Is this normal?

This character doesn't even have weird speaking patterns or anything, they're just kind of aloof, so I can't just mark this up as "anime shenanigans" and get on with my life. I haven't learned a language like Japanese before, so it makes me really anxious that I can encounter phrases/words like this and not be able to find an example for them online...

Transcript of the conversation, just in case:

Character A: そうとなったら、早速セッチングするで!
Character B: さんかで
Character A: 何でや?来いや!
Character B: (explains why they can't go/participate)

(Anime is Sakura Card Captor Clear Card, ep07)

I listened to the clip and I hear "不参加で" (short for "不参加でお願いします").

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.