Context: Character introduced himself as a baseball player part of the 二軍 team then says:

野球選手ちゅうても、筋トレしすぎてケガしとーば、1軍に上がったことはないがや

I assume it's some kind of dialect but I was not able to find what it means.

がや should be part of Nagoya dialect and is an ending particle used to describe a surprise or claim.

Thanks to the comment,

So, I reckon しとーば should be a 名古屋弁{なごやべん}.

this doesn't seem to be correct. However, there does seem to be a similar variant used in Kumamoto dialect ばい as well as in Gunma dialect ばい.

I guess it means しているので (Kumamoto) or してばかり(Gunma) in your contexts.

ちゅうても is also a dialect-ish phrase for といっても, but I think it's pretty common even in Kanto (not only in Nagoya).

I think

野球選手といっても、筋トレしすぎてケガしているので、1軍に上がったことはないんだ。

Even if he is a professional baseball player, he has never played for the first team due to an injury from excessive muscle training. (Somewhat blaming in a way).

is standard Japanese.

Has a silent down-voter come back finally??? つい最近の署名運動みたいじゃん。秘書がやりました。 May 29 at 12:15
    I don't know if it helps but apparently it is one of the character's quirks that he speaks in a mishmash of a bunch of different dialects.
    – xndfrr
    May 29 at 13:09
  • @xndrr So, is しとーば a variant or typo or author's choice of the ending particle? I think しとーばい seems a Kyushu dialect. It changes just the location from Nagoya to Kyushu and does not change meaning. May 29 at 13:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.