Context: Character introduced himself as a baseball player part of the 二軍 team then says:

野球選手ちゅうても、筋トレしすぎてケガしとーば、1軍に上がったことはないがや

I assume it's some kind of dialect but I was not able to find what it means.

1 Answer 1

がや should be part of Nagoya dialect and is an ending particle used to describe a surprise or claim.

Thanks to the comment,

So, I reckon しとーば should be a 名古屋弁{なごやべん}.

this doesn't seem to be correct. However, there does seem to be a similar variant used in Kumamoto dialect ばい as well as in Gunma dialect ばい.

I guess it means しているので (Kumamoto) or してばかり(Gunma) in your contexts.

ちゅうても is also a dialect-ish phrase for といっても, but I think it's pretty common even in Kanto (not only in Nagoya).

I think

野球選手といっても、筋トレしすぎてケガしているので、1軍に上がったことはないんだ。

Even if he is a professional baseball player, he has never played for the first team due to an injury from excessive muscle training. (Somewhat blaming in a way).

is standard Japanese.

Has a silent down-voter come back finally??? つい最近の署名運動みたいじゃん。秘書がやりました。 Commented May 29, 2021 at 12:15
    I don't know if it helps but apparently it is one of the character's quirks that he speaks in a mishmash of a bunch of different dialects.
    – xndfrr
    Commented May 29, 2021 at 13:09
  • @xndrr So, is しとーば a variant or typo or author's choice of the ending particle? I think しとーばい seems a Kyushu dialect. It changes just the location from Nagoya to Kyushu and does not change meaning. Commented May 29, 2021 at 13:26

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .