Translation: I'm a busy man

I got this from the manga "Blue Period". The translation provided above is from the official translation. From my understanding, 付き合い indicates a relationship, specifically the state of knowing someone, so it does strike me as odd how the words (in the trans) was phrased. I guess it is kind of a paraphrase, but even then I don't understand what the original sentence mean and how it fits into the context.

Totally unrelated but 学ランにネクタイって・・・ – Chocolate May 30 at 6:00

This individual is basically using "I've been bad company" as a euphemism, in this case, for "excusing" their late arrival (or arrival when not expected). I think what's going on with a lot of the translations, even the official ones, is not to aim for a literal translation but rather a translation that best captures the mood.

• I thought he was 八虎 and he had just arrived. But I may be wrong. I thought he was she at first. – aguijonazo May 28 at 21:36
  • @aguijonazo thank you for the feedback. i was wondering exactly what the context was and who was who. perhaps i should have rendered it gender neutral. – A.Ellett May 28 at 22:07
  • No, gender is fine. The official (?) translation says "man". I just wanted to say I'm so clueless about the context and therefore I can be easily wrong. – aguijonazo May 28 at 22:19
  • I agree with agujunazo. It appears to me that Yatora had just arrived, and the first two guys spoke ill of Yatora without noticing he had been there. "Sorry for being an unsociable 優等生 (but I'm here today)!" – naruto May 28 at 22:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.