Is there any difference between the two? Are they interchangeable? Both mean "although/even though."

You use とはいえ to partially deny, or say something contrary to, what was stated earlier while accepting it on the whole.

試験に合格したとはいえ、まだ勉強しないといけない。
Although I passed the exam, I still have more to study.
(While it is true that I passed the exam, I still have more to study.)

On the other hand, のに is used to state two contrasting or contradictory facts. In addition, it carries a sense of unexpectedness or surprise on the part of the speaker.

試験に合格したのに、まだ勉強しないといけない。
Although I passed the exam, I am still forced to study.
(Despite the fact that I passed the exam, I am still forced to study.)

I would say とはいえ is closer in meaning to けど or けれども than to のに in that it lacks this sense of unexpectedness or surprise.

Whenever I encounter とはいえ it always strikes me as having a strong feeling of one can/could say. The effect is much like のに. Also, I suspect (again nonnative speaker here), that とはいえ is not generally used in everyday conversation, but has become more of a literary form. It also feels a bit more objective to me than のに. Native speakers (or otherwise knowledgeable folk) please correct me lest I mislead

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.