In the Light novel / Manga / anime : 弱キャラ友崎くん (Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun), the main heroine regularly says “ONItada !” (translated by “HEXactly !”).

What would be the “de-pun-ed” word or how (from what words) is that word built ?

EDIT : to make myself clear, I'm mainly interested in a lexical answer (even if the syntactic and contextual aspects are also interesting)

It's not a pun. According to sources, it's abbreviated 鬼のごとく正しい ("correct like an oni", "demonically correct"). It's not a set phrase ordinary people recognize. The heroine somehow liked this funny phrase after seeing it somewhere, and started using it as a pet phrase.

I have no idea where that HEX in the English translation came from.

See: https://rightnonel.com/archives/760

鬼 can be used as a prefix meaning "super-" (e.g. 鬼かわいい, 鬼やばい). Although it's uncommon and slangy, young native speakers who are good at slang should be able to intuit the meaning of おにただ without explanation. See: https://gamp.ameblo.jp/wasansensei/entry-12592348963.html

A 'hex' is a curse, so 'hexactly' is a great pun that I think gets across a similar playfulness. – A.Ellett May 28 at 0:04
  • @A.Ellett Oh, that makes sense, thank you. – naruto May 28 at 0:56
  • It seems strange that there wouldn't be any pun at all, because then most people (who are not familiar with the unabnreviated form), just wouldn't understand it at all. Your second source is more explicit about this slang usage : “qualifier” becomes “oni+qualif”. So the "pun" would be “tadashii” (正しい) becomes “oni+tada” (鬼正). Your answer might be more complete by adding that. – Camion May 28 at 10:15
  • @Camion What you're describing there is fine, but it's not what a pun is about. I don't think most people need to understand where these sorts of expressions come from to understand that it's just a fun, quirky expression. Folks do this all the time. I have a friend who whenever we get together or call each other on the phone and then are going to go our separate ways, one says "shang-a-lang" and the other responds "ding-dong". No pun, Just being silly. We've been doing this for over 30 years. How this came about, I don't recall. You could likewise think of 鬼ただ similarly. – A.Ellett May 28 at 14:49
    Ok, it's not a pun because there is no multiple meanings : askdifference.com/wordplay-vs-pun... I will modify the question. – Camion May 28 at 15:16

Since the question was explicitly asked to be more about the lexical construction than about other considerations, and that the other answer eludes that point. Here what I wanted to accept :

It is built as the abbreviated composition from 鬼(oni)+正しい(tadashii) ⇒ 鬼正 (onitada). for more considerations about the meaning and using context, see Naruto's answer.

I failed to see what value this self-reply adds to what was already explained in naruto’s answer. It clearly says おにただ is an abbreviation of 鬼のごとく正しい. It is a fact in this light novel/nanga/anime that the silly phrase in question came from 鬼のごとく正しい. – aguijonazo May 31 at 14:40
    おにただ was formed as an abbreviation of 鬼のごとく正しい in that manga. おに and ただ were taken out and then combined. That’s how the phrase was formed. It is a fact naruto has no control over. のごとく is not a reconstruction. It was part of the original phrase. As naruto’s answer clearly says, おにただ is not a generally accepted phrase. You asked about a specific phrase used in a particular manga and you got a complete answer. You lexical analysis is something you made up to satisfy yourself. – aguijonazo Jun 1 at 2:10
    It is an abbreviation of 鬼のごとく正しい. The noun 鬼 and the initial part of the adjective 正しい were taken out and then combined. That’s the lexical explanation. In case you didn’t get the meaning of the original phrase, it is also explained in naruto’s answer. – aguijonazo Jun 1 at 4:07
    It came from 正しい, of course. Where would it have come from when おにただ is an abbreviation of 鬼のごとく正しい? If you didn’t know how to read 正しい, the problem was in you, not in naruto’s answer. – aguijonazo Jun 1 at 4:14
    If the problem was in your failure to read 正しい as ただしい, there were appropriate ways to solve it, like looking it up in a dictionary. Denying someone’s complete answer from which you clearly benefited is not the way. – aguijonazo Jun 1 at 4:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.