Is there a difference between 場が凍る and 場が凍り付く? Both seem to be in use. Both are 自動詞/五段活用. An example sentence by yours truly:

教室で先生に「お前何言ってんだ」って言っちゃって場が凍った
教室で先生に「お前何言ってんだ」って言っちゃって場が凍りついた

I have also heard 空気が凍る used in the same sense as well.

They basically mean the same, but 凍りつく gives an impression that the resulting, frozen state is more firmly set and doesn’t easily melt. I believe the “up” in “freeze up” adds a similar nuance compared to just “freeze”.

• I think つく has more of a "sticky" feel to it. In other words, the freezing will stick and stay. (Basically what you said.) But, up doesn't really have this connotation. I think "freeze up" is generally used with something you'd wish hadn't frozen, like the pipes in your house in winter. I think up in this context gives more of a feel akin to using しまう in Japanese. – A.Ellett May 24 at 3:37
  • @A.Ellett: OK. Thanks. English is not my first language. How about "down"? Is "freeze down" even possible? – aguijonazo May 24 at 3:41
    I wasn't really trying to correct; just add some thoughts of my own to what I felt was a pretty good answer on your part. I understand the nuance you're trying to get at; I feel it strongly there with 凍りつく. Unfortunately "freeze down" would sound a bit odd (unless you somehow were suggesting it was a deep frost that went deep down into the earth). I think at best in English you'd have to throw in an adverb like "completely", like "the lake was completely frozen" (poor fish). Or, "the river was frozen solid". – A.Ellett May 24 at 3:54
    But the 場が凍りついた version is really more abstract in meaning, right. And I don't think there's a good way in English of quite conveying the additional nuance of ついた here. I think at best in English you can say "chilled the air"--yeah, I know it's 場 but.... – A.Ellett May 24 at 3:58
  • I agree with @A.Ellett that "freeze up" refers to a situation where you'd wish something hadn't frozen, literally or figuratively. A simple figurative usage would be "I froze up on stage". I am wondering about しまう though. Doesn't しまう also carry the possible connotation that something is done completely, besides something that happens to one's dismay? I wonder how well that completeness jives with "freezing will stick and stay". Like can't 凍っちゃった mean "something completely frozen"? – Eddie Kal May 24 at 4:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.