I was looking up ございます in デジタル大辞泉. I found an odd sentence example

(2)(補助動詞)補助動詞「ある」の意の丁寧語。「すでにお願いして―・す」「いかがお過ごしで―・しょうか」「ただ今ご紹介いただいた田中で―・す」「おめでとう―・す」「いっそ死にとう―・す」

I'm puzzled why でございます is used in「ただ今ご紹介いただいた田中でございます」. Since the speaker is referring to 田中, not himself, he should use 尊敬語. Thus, he should use でいらっしゃいます, not でございます. でございます is used for inanimate objects, right?

Also, I wonder who is doing 紹介 in this sentence? 田中?

1 Answer 1

Tanaka is the speaker here. でございます is also a humble form of です. Someone who merits the use (by Tanaka) of the honorific ご紹介いただく has just introduced him to an audience and he has now taken the turn to introduce himself.

[EDIT]

My explanation above was misleading. ご紹介いただく is also a humble expression for 紹介してもらう.

• Thanks, it was difficult for me to understand this sentence because the subject is hidden. Things would be more clear when 私は is appended to the beginning...
    – Jimmy Yang
    Commented May 24, 2021 at 1:01
    @JimmyYang: 私は would be redundant and unnatural because everyone in the audience knows the speaker is the Tanaka who has been just introduced.
    – aguijonazo
    Commented May 24, 2021 at 1:03
  • I understand the でございます part. But, in reference to oneself, ご紹介いたただいた doesn't make much sense to me. Isn't it saying, "I'm Tanaka who was just introduced"? In which case, ご紹介いたただいた sounds a bit pompous, right?
    – A.Ellett
    Commented May 24, 2021 at 1:15
    @JimmyYang: from 田中が([somebody]に)紹介してもらいました to ([somebody]に)紹介してもらった田中 to ご紹介いただいた田中.
    – aguijonazo
    Commented May 24, 2021 at 1:54
    @JimmyYang: I understand. More formal ご紹介に預かりました might have given you a harder time still.
    – aguijonazo
    Commented May 24, 2021 at 2:10

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .