I'm watching a YouTube video that helps learn Japanese through Mario RPG found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRBRLmhFy-4

enter image description here

I think Bowser is saying something like "I hate how you always interfere!"

There's 2 parts to this question.

Part 1: About よって! I can't figure out what this is. Is it an alternate meaning of よる or something?

Part 2: If you look up near the top left the at ん=ない the equals sign is a standard =. But if you look at the one below with よって!=やがって!, it has 2 small dots on top of and below the = sign. I'm not sure if this means 'similar to' or something else. I did find the definition of やがって on Jisho but I'm wanting to know more about よって.

Thank you!

This よって is the te-form of よる, which is an auxiliary verb that expresses disdain. Compared to やがる, よる sounds relatively old or dialectal. See this and this.

The te-form is sometimes used with an irritating voice to point out someone's bad or surprising behavior (I could not find the relevant definition in monolingual dictionaries). For example, a mom may say "またこんなに散らかして!" ("You've made such a mess of the room again!") to her child.

≒ is a math symbol that means "approximately equals". This is very common in Japan, but other symbols including ∼, ≃, and ≈ are used outside Japan. See this Wikipedia article.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.